I can agree on that the cost probably would be lower.
Just looking at the Denon offerings shows that pretty good.
Although their more expensive model has the Realta video processor that brings up the cost. Not sure really yet about how a pure transport vs. a player makes any difference in PQ. I guess this mostly concerns DVD playback but Im not sure.

Here's a link where they talk some about interactivty issues.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=958508

I just bought the Oppo DV-980H DVD which Im later going to pair with a 3808.
The Oppo is one of few players that supports SACD DSD output over HDMI, opposed to PCM or analouge.
Going to do a whole lot of comparing stuff once I get everything set up. So much stuff to figure out. I know that the Denon supports DSD input but as I understand it, it won't be able to apply any EQ unless its first converted to PCM which I think can be done in the Denon. I think DSD mode is called DSD direct, similar to the Pure direct mode for stereo. The Oppo can send SACD as PCM also.
Not sure how it handles DSD direct concerning speaker distance/level settings but I think that it shall work. The Oppo can send SACD as PCM also.
Also the Oppo has another scaler/deinterlacer than the Faroudja in the Denon. Opinions on which is the best varies but the Faroudja is said to create a more film like picture while the Oppo is sharper.
All is probably going together with a Samsung LE-46A656 which in itself has a descent scaler/deinterlacer.
Man it's getting more and more advanced, I guess you just have to set a good limit on how much you tweak vs. set and forget.
If anyone has ay experience with Denon 3808 with the Oppo player that would be great!

Arcam AVR600
Cambridge Audio 640C v2
Oppo DV-980H
PMC GB1i
PMC DB1M-Ci
QS8 v2
EP350 v3