Equipment Used:

Axiom M22ti
Kenwood VR-405 (receiver)
M-Audio Delta 44 (sound card)

Music Used:

Blank and Jones - Relax
Sasha - Airdrawndagger
DJ Tiesto - Magik Journey
Paul Oakenfold - Southern Sun (Solar Stone Chillout Mix)

I spent a lot of time trying to decide which subwoofer to purchase. I had the opportunity to audition the B&W ASW600 locally, while the other possibilities were only available through internet mail-order. I had come to the conclusion that by the time I add shipping and customs to a Hsu or SVS order, the price would come out substantially higher than my wallet would allow. So, I ended up ordering the Adire Rava because of its positive reviews and relatively low price tag.

After ordering the sub, I had to wait 15 days for it to arrive. This wait was a little unnerving, as you could imagine. Anyways, I finally got it. My first impression was that this thing is massive. I didn’t think that 65lbs, 18x18x18 inches would be as big as this. It has a great finish (I got the black), the construction is incredible. This thing is like a tank. The front grill has a really sturdy wood frame. The amp looks great, secure binding posts, stiff dials, removable power cord, full variable phase, and the usual other things. 250watt, 650rms, it’s a big step up from my 100watt merak sub.

Onto the sound.. First thing I noticed when I powered it up: there is no hum. With my old sub there was a quiet constant hum, especially distracting when trying to sleep (its in my bedroom), especially with no power off switch. Even if there was a hum on the rava, the power can be turned off from the sub. As for sound quality, this is exactly what I wanted. The bass is undoubtedly clean, but the biggest thing that strikes me is it’s warmth. It’s almost a comforting bass. My previous sub hit you right in the chest with a blunt object, while the rava has some grace to it. But even with this grace, it can certainly kick. As soon as I played out some music I heard multiple things in my room rattling. I had to spend awhile finding out where all the rattling was coming from, and fix each location. It can definitely pound when the volume is cranked up. It gives you a nice visceral impact that shakes your internal organs out of place. Perfect! I only tested it with music, no HT, but for music it went as low as I could have ever asked of it.

In terms of integration with the M22’s.. very clean, providing a nice transition. It really compliments the axiom sound, and gives the 22’s a definite weight and substance. I really can’t imagine going back to my old 8” merak, let alone listening without any sub! In my own opinion, this sub destroys the B&W ASW600 which I auditioned beforehand. I didn’t listen to the 600 in my house, but what I heard at the store really didn’t impress me at all.

I really don’t know how I could be any happier with an Hsu or SVS sub. The Adire Rava has preformed to beyond my expectations.