You haven't provided a clear goal or budget on this one, so it's really hard. If you want "budget" - that's something I'm good at

If you are just looking for stereo, and are on a budget... I would suggest M3 or M2s for speakers (which one is mostly personal preference - you might want to order both and listen to them).

For a sub I might suggest the $125 Dayton subwoofer from partsxpress.com (cheap option) - or the $350 Vance Dickasson model from the same place ($350 with rave reviews all over).

For a receiver - a really nice inexpensive and well regarded vintage model is the H/K 730 or 930. The 730 is more widely available and does ~45 watts/channel - the 930 is the same thing, just more powerful. They are both dual-mono designs, for what it's worth. One of those will set you back more or less $50 on eBay.

Then you've got your CD player - that one I can't really help you with, since I don't really listen to CDs much any more (I'm a vinyl junkie).

With this scenario, you could have a really nice system for <$1000, or if you go more budget, maybe even < $700.

Like I said, though - I don't know your budget or particular tastes. This is just the kind of things I might choose in your shoes.