Found a number of threads at the emotiva lounge and they state that the red light problem is just an initialization thing and is not a DOA problem, it happens once and is scary, but is cured by a blow dryer never to return (?).

I'm quoting one recent thread

"per Lonnie: In the dual differential and VAS stages, we use some extremely high bandwidth transistors (normally used in broadcast equipment). This is what gives the amp that really open and airy sound, as well as giving it lightning fast reflexes to reprpoduce all the nuances of the music. The tradeoff is that these transistors are more susceptible to static.

Due to the foam packing, static can generate during shipping, and even weather can affect that. If s static charge builds up in the amp this way, the base of a transistor can slightly turn on and start to conduct current in an idle state. The protect circuit will see this, and even though it is WAY down in the microamps of current, it will shut the amp down to protect your speakers.

Blowing air over the components for anywhere from 60 seconds to a couple of minutes will discharge the static an then it will wake up and run normally. Once the charge is gone, I have nevr heard of it returning, so you shouldn't have any future issues with it.

We're not sure why we've had a couple of these recently, but to prevent it, we're changing to an anti-static top covering bag on the amps."

Not sure if this is enough to put me off from pursuing cheap ostensibly quality amplification with a 5 year warranty, I'm still thinking of taking the gamble.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."