I guess my only concern was that bookshelves may not be good enough to give you a true, deep experience.

I guess my level of loudness would be at a moderate level. My old system (again just my pc) was ok, but a lot of times I would need to turn it up really loud to get good exposure to what I was listening to: too loud would just drown things out anyway. With music, it was reasonable, and anything too loud would just become noise anyway: my pc has a nice set of Altec Lansing speakers that served their purpose but it wasn't like my small apartment could help with the experience that much. I mean, it was just a computer based system so I was never expecting a lot, but it served it's purpose.

The biggest concern I had was that whatever I choose would give me a nice range of listening options (soft to hard) while not increasing the knocks on the door to turn it down. Not that I would blast my system volume, but I want to make sure I don't loose any pleasure for those things that would call for increased volume.

Not sure if that makes sense \:\)