With a recent push towards bettering my home theater, I starting looking deeper into the capabilities of my Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX receiver. I found out that I can do some fairly serious graphing of my room accoustics by connecting the receiver to a PC using the RS-232 port on the back of the receiver.

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone has done this before? The RS-232 port seems to just connect up to a 9-pin COM port on a PC (my laptop has one), and I have the software from Pioneer already downloaded.

Anyway, here is what it says about the cable in the manual:
 Originally Posted By: Pioneer Manual
Use a commercially-available RS-232C cable to connect the RS-232C jack on your computer to the 9-pin RS-232C jack on the back panel of this receiver (the cable must be cross type, female–female).

So by "cross type," does that mean a "cross-over" or "null-modem" cable, or is it just a regular 9-pin serial cable?

I used to have a 25' cross-over null-modem cable from WAY back when I used to play multi-player games (locally) on two computers before LAN gaming and internet gaming, but I must have thrown it out as I couldn't find it. I need to buy some other cables and such from monoprice, so I want to get a cable for this too from them so that I don't have to pay RatShack's crazy prices....

Any ideas as to which type it is?

Farewell - June 4, 2020