Johnk,

I just happended to pick up that particular magazine and read that article this summer as well. I was also shocked at the results. However, I think that they missed one point as to why there is a difference in the actual soundtracks that arrive on discs. Yes, on a soundtrack that is mastered very well in a lossy format and lossless of 5.1 the experts had a very difficult time discerning which soundtrack was which, even on quite expensive equipment. However, Disney is not the only studio mastering the discs that we get. Disney is about that only studio that consistently can give amazing soundtracks even in plain old Dolby 5.1. For example, "the Incredibles" still sounds amazing. I think that the lossless format makes it easier to make an amazing soundtrack than it does in a lossy format. This is why everyone keeps reporting that on lossless soundtracks we get better voice intelligibility, better low level detail and tighter bass usually. These are actually some subtle differences that have heard as well, and I don't think that it was the placebo effect. Also, if I am paying the higher premium I demand that I get the best possible soundtrack available.

- Nick