Let’s see if I can answer your questions without unduly berating the reviewer, which is not my intent. Certainly, as BBIBH mentioned, the review is quite complementary and I appreciate that. The VP100 and QS4s are timbre matched to the M3s. In fact Steve Guttenberg does not say that the QS4s are not timbre matched but rather raves about them, his only comment is on the VP100. The problem that he was hearing with the VP100 is not related to timbre matching but is actually inherent in all woofer / tweeter / woofer Center Channel configurations. This design in the off axis response does not perform well due to the configuration and in a linear loudspeaker will manifest itself in a slight change in the mid range versus the front channel speakers, and he does mention that this effect is subtle. This manifestation can be masked by artificially increasing the output of the speakers in the high frequencies but this obviously then makes the system coloured (inaccurate). I looked over a number of his reviews and in all cases he either likes the system on music and not Home Theater or vice versa. In all cases the systems he likes for music are natural and the systems he likes for home theater are coloured. Needless to say he thought the Epic Master was excellent for music. Though a bullet may sound better with an accentuated high frequency this does not mean it was recorded that way. Our design philosophy is natural sound is best for both Home Theater and music. Oddly enough I just covered the Center Channel design trade offs in a post in our Technical Questions section. The VP150 will eliminate the inherent problems with Center Channel design (and not by artificially increasing the high frequency) but the question becomes is it worth the extra money in a smaller Home Theater System for this subtle change? I would say not if it means reducing some other part of the system to achieve it.

Ian Colquhoun
President & Chief Engineer