One more point. I'm not a lawyer so I don't pretend to understand how the law works in a case like this. Thus, what follows is just my opinion.

I don't think anyone should be able to co-opt a word already in the public domain, such as "monster." If one DOES choose to use a word already in the public domain, then you should be prepared for others to use the same word. If you want exclusivity, then make up a name that is not a word already in use, or combine a common word with another word(s) to create a unique name.

Lee, should have all rights to the name "Monster Cable." If a company starts manufacturing bridge cables, they cannot use the name "Monster Cable." If Monster Cable wishes to start a new company that manufactures Monster Mints, once registered, that name is theirs. But, if someone wants to have a miniature golf company, they should be free to call themselves Monster Mini Golf. I don't know about you, but, because the word monster is in the public domain, I would not automatically assume that Monster Cable and Monster Mini Golf are owned by the same people.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton