Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
Congrats fellow D90 owner!

If you need a little more help with the D90 (or any DSLR), I would highly recommend the Magic Lantern guides. They're unique to each camera model. The one for the D90 is supposed to be released in February of '09.

The Magic Lantern series have always been fantastic. They're like a suped-up owners manual, but written in a way that's actually somewhat enjoyable to read. It tells you how to configure the settings but also the why behind those settings.

Thanks for the heads up and congrats to you as well. I bought the D60 guide (Focal Digital Camera Guides series) written by Corey Hilz that was well reviewed at Amazon. I emailed Corey Hilz, and he was very kind to reply: "What you’d find most helpful is the information about the functions of the camera (autofocus modes, exposure modes, metering, shooting modes, playback information, histograms). Those same functions are in the D90, but you access them using buttons/dials and the top LCD, instead of via the LCD on the back of the camera (as is done with the D60). So if you can find the functions OK, then the D60 book will still tell you what they do. The D60 does not have live view or video, so there’s no info on those features. Menus are a bit trickier. The D90 has more extensive menus than the D60, so the D60 book will be of limited help in that regard. The chapters on light, composition and accessories are very similar. The software chapter is OK, but I’ve updated it for the D90 book as new versions of the software have since been released." His guide for the D90 will also be released in February.

John
Our HT