While you may get many very accurate responses that your setup is not “ideal”, I can say that the QS8s will work better in your set up than any direct radiating speakers. My directs were almost directly overhead (in the ceiling) as my seat was on the back wall. I never had a good surround image, although the tweeters were aimed to bounce of side walls. In my new room the QS8s are about two feet behind my seat, and near the ceiling. So my current set up is better, but still not ideal, and similar to the first. But in terms of surround imagining, there is no comparison. The quad-polar design (if that is accurate) of the QS8s really does an impressive job of creating a surround image that is both accurate for tracking a moving object, but expansive for those non-pinpoint sounds that create the impression of depth.

Others can do more justice to the “why”, but I would not hesitate to suggest the QS8s even in your situation. In fact, I think this design is more important in the case of near-field listening position as you and I have. As a direct radiating speaker is moved further away, it is easier to create imaging; right over your head is not so easy. The Axioms will help dramatically, in my experience. Good luck.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire