Although the excellent systems Bob quoted are just slightly over your budget (in Canadian dollars), consider that if you were to purchase from the Factory Outlet, the savings on the M60 system would squeak you in at $2,479.50 CAD and even less American. I can guarantee you that the mains in this package can produce every nuance of a movie (from big to subtle) in stunning clarity. I own two sets of them.

If you follow JohnK's good advice and use M22s as mains, the same system gets a little cheaper yet again. From the Factory Outlet, you would be looking at 2,121.35 CAD. Leaving room for goodies. The M22s, although I don't own them myself, are continuously praised for their clarity and the EP350 sub will round out any tiny bit of bass that you might lose by not going with a big floor stander like the M60s or M80s. No guilt to reserve those for when you get a much bigger room or more free cash.

If you want to end up never having deal with the often unnecessary but always present upgraditis, you could consider doing it in pieces.

-Purchase the M80s with an EP500 to start with. I personally get more fun out of my sub than my surround speakers because very few movies utilize them to their full potential. If you sit close to the center, you will get a good 'ghost center' from the stereo effect of the pristine M80.

-When the budget allows, add some QS8 surrounds.

-Finally top it of with an EP150 Center.

I'm exited just talking about it. I wish I could buy more myself just to relive the rush of getting new gear.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.