I am slowly accumulating the tools and materials for building myself a stand and canopy for my 40gallon aquarium. When I was a kid I spent a good chunk of time in the woods with a pocket knife and a piece of dead wood making little figures and 'bo staffs' and such, so finally being able to afford some grownup tools is pretty spiffy. Anyways, in my accumulations I'm realizing that I also need some speaker stands. And then I see these 2" x 2" x 24" or 36 blocks of exotic turning wood, like cocobolo or rosewood or padauk or what have you, and realize they'd make fine speaker stands - and often for <$30 a pop. Carve a channel on the back for wire, slap on a top and bottom plate, do whatever finish I'd like and there we go.

Long story short. Any recommendations on a type of wood? My knowledge is limited so I thought I'd turn to some woodworkers/audiophiles for advice. My guess would be softer woods to reduce the...uh...standing wave thingies. But I'm not sure what those softer woods would be while still being really nice woods. Since I have the M3 in boston cherry vinyl, I'd prefer something darker - although I can always stain darker. Anyways, just throwing it out there for opinions sake. \:\)