We listened to the 2.4's, but last-year's 2.4. They didn't have the *new* 2.4's in that listening room. The C-9 just seemed to have a much richer sound to it. The 2.4 just sounded slightly weaker in comparison. Norah's voice wasn't as smoky and rich, the piano sounded more like a recording of a piano and less like a real piano. In a jazzy drum solo on a different CD, you could really feel the snares hit on the C-9's, sounding very much like a live band, whereas the 2.4's were almost harsh and simulated sounding.

Don't get me wrong, they both sounded really good, the C-9's just sounded better to us. Heck, they both sounded much better than the B&W's (don't remember the model, smaller $900ish pair bookshelves - is there a blanket over the speakers?) and Klipsch speakers (large towers - fingernails on a chalkboard highs :eek:) we auditioned.

I think it may have had something to do with placement, as they had all of their speakers arranged in an arc in front of us, the Veritas being about 6 feet apart, us sitting about 8 feet back, the C-9's being about 12 feet apart, us sitting about 8 feet back. It could also be a power problem, I suppose. All our listening was done through a Pioneer Elite 53TX receiver though, which is basically the same, power-wise, as what we have now.

Thanks for the reply, spiffneme. Impressive indeed to hear that you prefer the m60's to C-9's, nevermind the M80's!

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 11/10/03 07:28 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office