BigL,

I too own an H/K receiver but mine is the AVR55. Just like you I believed the recevier was underpowered to the likes of JVC, Pioneer, ETC. What I didn't realize is that the power on the H/K is linear. As you turn the receiver the power increases linearly unlike the JVC where you turn the volume quarter way and the speakers are blaring.

Also, my speakers were not calibrated so as I raised the volume the surrounds sounded so much louder than the front three speakers because I was closer to them. I was very disappointed in the receiver for the past several years until I recently purchased my set of Axiom speakers. I bought the M3ti(fronts), VP100(center), QS4(surrounds), and EP125 sub. My home theater is in a room that is 18.5'x15' with 12 foot ceilings and the H/K receiver fills the room without any problems. I am a little disappointed with the EP125 and that is because it is a little small for the room. Lucky enough I already had an Infinity BU2 sub to go along with the EP125. If you plan to get a sub I would go with a bigger sub than the EP125.

Next I bought the AVIA calibration DVD to calibrate my speakers. Boy, do I notice a difference in the sound. I have had neighbors even comment that the speaker all seem to flow together. Calibration in my opion is a must. I know I am not answering your question but I feel you can spend the money that you would spend on a new receiver on a good set of speakers.

Now, to answer your question. I would not go with the M1's or the VP50. I would at least get the M3ti's and the VP100. I plan to upgrade my M3ti's to the M22ti's and move the M3's into another room. Even if you don't play your system loud right now because you live in an apartment I would go with a little bigger and better speakers. I hope this has helped.

LSUDAN