Well, I am building my theater now. Using the "golden ratios" for room dimensions, I am going to build my room to be 7'-3" high, 11'-7 1/4" wide, and 16'-10 3/4" long. The screen will be 96"X56" and I am planning to simply have 2 rows of 4 theater seats in the room. From what I have read, the dimensions I have chosen are best (as a ratio of 1:1.6:2.33) for minimizing room peaks and nodes. In conjunction with the room size, I also will be using my trusty BFD to further smooth the room response.

These measures should really tame the bass response (hopefully to nearly ruler flat!), but what about the rest of the spectrum. I have read that room reflections are what generally muddy the sound of even the best systems, so how should I treat my walls. Do I leave the front wall solid, to allow reflections towards the seating, and then deaden the ceiling, side and rear walls to eliminate reflected sound? Do I leave a portion of the side walls un-deadened to allow some reflected sound?

I had Kind of leaned towards the first idea. If you are outside, the sound only comes from the one direction. Any sound that should sound reflected, such as bounced off a building or the lively reflections in a gymnasium, should (I would think), be re-created by the surround speakers and therefore I would want all walls deadened. Then I wonder if I can get good width and depth imaging if the front wall is deadened. I am leaning towards a stiff front wall that will reflect sound, much like an ampitheater. Perhaps the front wall, and the first four feet of the side walls and ceiling should be reflective. This would provide for a reflective depth, width, and height, without being so far out as to allow first reflections to be directed at the listening positions.

I have read that there should be a balance between reflective and absorptive materials, but I have never read any good "tried and true" facts. Anyone have any good actual designs that are proven to sound great?

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!