Mike, listening to just segments of a classical composition meant to be heard in its entirety doesn't allow for really gaining an appreciation of the piece.

Okay, the local library didn't have the "Best of" Vanessa-Mae disc(could have requested it be sent from another library in the state in 3-4 days)but I took out five of her discs that had almost everything that was in "Best". Spent a couple hours tonight listening and the only track that I really enjoyed was the transcription for violin of Nessun Dorma from Puccini's Turandot. This is a glorious melody composed to be sung by a tenor(e.g., Pavorotti), but which has been arranged for orchestra, piano, violin, etc. I believe this is the first time that I heard the violin transcription, and since it was well-played, I enjoyed it, as I said. The two segments from her slight rearrangement of The Four Seasons were interesting enough that I listened to all of it on the rather impertinently titled "The Original Four Seasons" disc. If I wasn't aware of the genuine original and better performances I probably would have been impressed enough to consider buying it. About the other items I have nothing good to say, so I won't describe my impressions.

In summary, she plays well, but that's nothing unusual these days and I won't bother listing the many that I'd view as a bit better. There're several very talented young Asian women playing today who are in the top rank, but judging from what I heard Vanessa-Mae isn't one of them. If you'd like to hear better examples in that specific category, for a beautiful cello disc consider The Swan by Ha-Na Chang. And if "strings" include those on a guitar, there's terrific playing here .

Also keep in mind that string quartets include a cello and if you didn't get my two favorites that I suggested to you a couple months ago(shame on you), you should enjoy the beautiful Debussy and Ravel disc and, as Fred did, this Borodin, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky disc with three favorite quartets.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.