Kinda weird on the transformers. My TX-SR786 manual is also the manual for the TX-NR906. The only features that it says are different for the 906 is essentially what I reported. Says they both employ H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer. I'm going to have to check this out further (see below).

On the ohm setting, unless you are bridging your front speakers (with surround backs) you are forced through the setup menu to run either run 4 ohm or 6 ohm. If you are bridging your front speakers (limits you to 5.x from 7.x) you are forced in the menu to select BTL which in turn forces 8 ohms (but you are warned that you should only do this with 8 ohm speakers). The 906 likely works the same way as the manual doesn't distinguish.

I think Audyssey MultEQ XT is good for my situation with less than optimal room acoustics, but it took me a long time to appreciate the difference. However the Dynamic EQ is a hands down winner for me - I like playing my music and HT at somewhat lower levels than perhaps others (although not what my wife says) and Audyssey elevates the surround volumes to compensate for the lower listening levels (the idea that you hear the surrounds at the same perceived levels you would hear at reference levels). I personally do not like either of the Dynamic Volume settings and never engage them. Makes everything sound artificial IMHO.

EDIT: You're right. Here's what the websttes say for the 906/876:
Power (8ohms 20-20kHz 0.05%): 145W / 140W
High Instantaneous Current Capability: 70A / 65A
BTL Capability For Front: (230W) / (210W)
Power Consumption: 9.8 A / 9.5 A
Power Transformer: Massive Toroidal Tansformer / H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
and...the 906 has 4 independent power supplies compared to 3 on the 876.

Last edited by ibmack; 04/11/09 09:41 PM.