Hello Mrondeau

I haven't modded any Axiom speakers yet, but I have modded all my Michaura speakers (M60 like M665s, M50 like M66s and M22 like M55s).

I swapped out the capacitors with those of same values but which are recommended by audio buffs, like Solens, Audiocap thetas, Jensens, Mills resistors ... as far as the loose polyfill, I don't think there's any problem with that since its purpose is to diffuse rear panel reflections, but I do believe in damping the cabinet with products like No Rez. I wonder whether dynamat would work to damp the structure as well.

HOw do my modded speakers sound? I have both Axiom M22s and Michaura M55s. I'd say the M55s with the Jensen caps and Mills resistors, No Rez damping materials sound a bit better than the larger M22s. (Same 5.25" drivers but the M55s use the 3/4" Titanium tweeter from the old M1 M2 speakers instead of the 1" Titanium tweets in current use, Michaura uses a hex shaped cabinet instead of the trapezoid Axiom shape.)`

I love Axiom speakers, but there can be no question but that economic decisions have been made which limit the sound quality. One of the main reasons for NOT modding your Axiom speakers is that the drivers are mounted to MDF cabinets with plain screws into MDF. How many times do you think you can unscrew those things before there is play between the driver and cabinet? How long do you think you can blast Iron Butterfly before you get the same loosening? We all know that some speakers use internal metal structure into which the drivers are secured. More expensive? Yes.

We saw how the Skiing Ninja folks and their attempts to upgrade the cross-overs for our M22s were received here. Some folks are just true believers and are offended by the mere idea that Axiom speakers can be improved by after-market modifications.

Anyway, tweak away and let us know.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.