Keep in mind that the reason for the increased resolution of 1080P is so that one can move closer to the screen, filling a wider angle of view, thus having a more realistic, immersing viewing experience. I think I've seen the ideal field of view stated as something like 33 degrees or 36 degrees. Can't remember \:\( .

Since they all seem to vary, one can drive oneself nuts with all the calculators, formulas, and charts recommending the proper viewing distance. Though I can't offer conclusive proof that it's the definitive source, I have always relied on this HDTV Widescreen Seating Distance Chart. However, based on my viewing experience (when viewing Blu-ray movies I sit just a hair over 7 feet from my 56 inch display) I think it's a fairly accurate chart (but I wish it was in feet and inches rather than just inches). YMMV.

On the other hand, I'm often sitting at my computer while watching something on HDTV, which probably has me 10 or 11 feet from the screen, and don't feel deprived in the least.

I've always found the chart below interesting as well. As you can see, for a 60" screen the full benefit of 1080P is realized aroound 7.5 feet, but some benefit is realized all the way out to about 13 feet.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton