Originally Posted By: N.O.iceQueen

Aside from the Squeeze Box recommended by mdrew, can anyone recommend a device that would play just about anything?

For playback I just use my PCs. Plenty of free software out there that will allow you to play anything you can rip to a disk I like Media Monkey for playing all my audio. Not as simple/elegant a something like Squeezbox but it cost me nothing but a little time to setup and learn the software. AFAIK PS3 and Xbox will play lots of media formats streamed directly from a NAS.

I also ripped all my standard Cds (don’t know of any way to rip SACDs) to a server (NAS) in FLAC format using EAC as fredk mentioned. Having all my media on a dedicated server give me the flexibility to sent it to anything on my network or in the case of the NAS I bought log in over the internet. If you have an old computer laying around you could set up a NAS with free software to get started. Should you later decide to buy a dedicated server just migrate the files to it with no need to rip them again.

The other big decision to make eluded to here is what format to rip them in. there have been a couple discursions about that here but I can’t seem to find them.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1