Just a followup...

I spent some time tinkering with iPhoto last night. I get it now. The 'auto-event on import' feature saved the day.

While there still doesn't seem to be a way to tell iPhoto to use my folders as 'Events' , at least in my case I can see that in the majority of cases it doesn't matter. My folders were all of events, broken down chronologically anyway. So in most cases, the Events mirror what the folders were. I have a little bit of cleanup to do (where a vacation spanned multiple days, for instance), but it's minimal compared to what I thought it was going to be. It's looking great. And I did some digging as to how and where iPhoto is actually storing my jpgs when it's set to use its own library. I understand that too now, and see that all of my JPG's aren't actually disappearing into an OSX black hole. So I'm cool with that too.

And I installed Parallels 4.0 last night too, with an XP VM. Is that ever a slick piece of software. From my Linux/VM experiences, I'm used to VM's that run in their own window, with their own dedicated hard drive space. Basically independent of the host OS. Fine and dandy.

It can do that, but it can also share the Mac documents/files into XP's documents. And there's a mode called 'Coherence' where XP runs in the background and lets you start & run Windows apps as if they were native to OSX. Way cool.

For instance, for years I have been using MS Money to keep track of my finances. Installed it in the XP VM so I can continue to use it while I find a suitable Mac-centric finance app (I know, good luck...). Works perfectly.

But what I didn't realize is that Parallels is able to more-or-less merge OSX and XP together. OSX becomes 'aware' of Windows apps, so to speak. I can literally just double click on a MSMoney application link in Finder (in OSX), and Parallels will boot up/unsuspend the XP VM, then open MS Money in OSX just as if it were a native OSX App. It's not in it's own XP window, it's just the app itself. And other than potentially needing to cold boot the XP VM, it's just as fast & snappy as it was running natively on my XP/Vista machines. Very slick! \:\)

So far, I'm quite impressed.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office