Alan,

Do you have any advice on dealing with HTPCs? Fixing the poor ground on the cable tv line has almost eliminated that as a source, but the HTPC is definitely introducing some noise (EMI/RFI I'm sure) into the system. I was going to switch to an optical connection for the audio, but there is also a small of noise being introduced by the HDMI connection from the HTPC. Not really sure what the options are here aside from trying a whole different HTPC such as a laptop based system that uses an isolated ungrounded power supply and runs via DC only internally...

Anyone have any ideas?

At this point the hum is around the <15db level (I'm guesstimating). It's really really low, but the idea that it should be completely silent is driving me nuts.

Also, I doubt it's actually an issue, but in term of interconnects from pre to amp... Should I be using RG-59 or RG-6 coax interconnects here? Do I really need quad shielded RG-6 to go the 2 ft or so? Right now the interconnects don't seem to be introducing any noise. I can verify that by taking out all the sources form the pre and connecting my iPod to the Aux in... everything is dead silent even with my current RG-59 based interconnects.