Originally Posted By: Golden

In a related note, I have actually found the VP150 to almost be overkill

I don't think I've ever considered any speaker to be 'overkill' until I saw a guy using an M80 as a center channel...

Just kidding! Seriously though, even an M80 would work as long as you adjusted for distance and level correctly in your reciever. You can easily avoid 'overkill' with proper tuning and set-up. Is the dialog coming off a bit too strong for your tastes using the VP150? If so try setting it down a few db's and maybe turn the towers up a few db's. Keep experimenting until you find a happy medium that suits you. Remember there is no 'right or wrong' way to set your system up. There's only what you like and what you don't like.

A lot of people like to have the dialog firmly anchored in the middle of the screen. But myself, I like to spread the sound out to the mains a little more. So I have my center channel set at zero, and the left and right towers dialed up to +3. This gives me the sound I'm looking for. Now a professional audio man might come in, wave his wand around and tell me I'm WAAAAY off, and that I'm not listening to my movies the way they were meant to be listened to... who cares?

If my set-up brings me more enjoyment than the way the sound editor out in Hollywood intended for me to listen to it, then so be it. So detune that VP150 if it's over powering your M60's my man. It's your party, you can cry if you want to!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD