I have one. In the bedroom driving a pair of M22's, full-range, from an iPod dock. It works really well from low to medium volume levels. Up to about the point where the sound interferes with normal conversation. The M22's are clean and clear, with lovely highs and surprisingly strong bass. They sound really good, actually. I've been quite happy with the setup for a year or so now. It's perfect for music at a volume level for just chilling out in the bedroom, or for putting on some ambient stuff for taking a nap, or ... whatever.

But that's as loud as it gets, and when it hits the limit, there's nothing left. Cranking the volume up past that point results in, well, nothing. They'll go a bit louder with music that has little bass - up to the point of decently jammin'. But as soon as any bass hits, the volume just disappears. Obviously at its limit and not good for the speakers nor amp, so I don't toy with that.

I'd be a little hesitant trying to use one to run any of the floor-standing speakers, as I just can't imagine that you'd get a lot of volume out of them. But the bookshelves, go for it. Unless your intent is to rock out the whole dorm. In that case, I doubt you'd be happy. Buy a better amp if that's what you want to do. ;\)

I would say, order yourself a pair of M3's and give it a shot. If they don't work out, return them. Axiom will stand behind their return policy. You'll be out the return shipping, but it shouldn't be more than $30-$40 (I think). Feel confident in ordering from the outlet too - you'll save a little cash and it's likely you won't be able to tell why they were outlet speakers. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office