Hi!

I recently added a vp100 v2 to my pair of M3 (next purchase will be pair of QS4 next year or sooner), and I started this week to enjoy better overall sound from movies.

I just discovered that optical cables can't handle the bandwith of PCM lossless 5.1 soundtrack from my PS3 and hd-dvd player. Only hdmi cables can do the job (there's lot of information about that on the web). And my receiver do not have hdmi connector for sound. I know that the logical solution would be to buy a new receiver for optimal results, but I want your opinion/advice on this.

Based on my actual configuration, it is better to:
1- Go with PCM lossless sound on 2 channels and let the receiver do processing with Dolby Pro Logic?
OR
2- Go with the regular Dolby Digital 5.1?

Actually in 2.1, the sound seems better with PCM processed with Dolby Pro Logic. On the other hand, when I'll get surround speakers, I think that the Dolby Digital will do a better job for surround sound.

Is that a logical thought?

Thanks for your opinion!

PS: There's no bandwith problem with optical cable for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD soundtracks. Just too bad that Black Hawk Down blu ray only have high def soundtrack in PCM lossless. \:\(

Patrick

Last edited by ptherrien; 07/26/09 08:39 AM.