Originally Posted By: Adrian
There's coyotes scattered around here in Peel Region, I've never seen more than one at a time, but years ago, a man walking his dog on the biking paths here, had his pet attacked and killed by a pack of coyotes. I'm guessing it was a small pack but it's surprising they attacked with the owner there as generally they stay well away from people. Personally, I'd call up the town and have them remove/relocate them, but I live in semi-urban type area.

We have a similar story - We know a man that was walking his dog at dusk near a wooded area. A coyote sprang from ambush, attacked and killed the dog - while the owner was holding the leash. I would think that when they are in a small "pack" that they are probably bolder than when alone. I can assure you that I was doing my best "rear guard" impression last night when I was bringing the dogs in from their lot to the house.

I think one of the things bothering me is the close proximity to the house and the fact that familiarity has apparently bred contempt within the coyotes towards humans.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill