Tom,

Not sure how much I want to spend.

I started out looking for some small bookshelf speakers ...the little Best Buy packaged jobs (I didn't even get as far as looking for a receiver at that time).
I jumped on-line and soon realized that these small speakers weren't too great.

After looking at different sites, I noticed the Axiom speakers on the AudioReview site. I've been cruising through the site, and others, the past week. Yesterday I was about to buy Axiom M80s, QS8s, VP150, Hsu STF2 or 3 and Yamaha RX-V1400...then I came to my senses....I can't afford this, my TV is garbage and I have no place for more than two speakers now anyway.

So I am back to my original plan (I think) of buying a receiver and two speakers.
I believe that receivers become outdated quicker than speakers. I don't want to put more money than necessary into a receiver, since it will probably be outdated (or I'll want something better) by the time I am ready to set up a good home theater system.
On the other hand.. if speakers don't get dated as fast, I wouldn't mind putting extra money into buying a better set.

If there is a question of base quality I would probably like to get as large a floor standing speaker as possibly..instead of the M22s and subwoofer. I talked with the factory and they felt a large floor standing speaker was better than the M22s and a subwoofer...if they understood my question correctly.
I am guessing M80s are overkill for my apartment.
What about M60s?
Not sure what would be the best?
Also is the amp that Craig recommended suitably for larger speakers.
I don't think I want to spend much over a thousand...less probably.
Rob