Thanks for the response JC. I ordered some Mogami 2549 and 3173 as well as some Vampire copper base RCAs and XLRs at 6mm and 9.3mm OD. I intend to terminate using example 17 from this rane corp article. Rane Corp Termination Article
My question is if I pinout the XLR in that manner will the Ice module go into balanced +4 dBm mode? From my understanding placing a 1/4" TRS mono RCA adapter, came boxed, will connect -10dBV line level source to pin 2 and bridge pin 1 and 3 in a hybrid TRS/XLR as on the back of the A1400-8. This will also using a single ended source via single conductor COAX (90% of consumer line level cable) connect pins 1 and 3 to coax ground/braid. No wonder it's so horrible using coax with that adapter. What is needed is two conductor UTP cable with braid. The thing is if I use the Rane example 17 pins 1 and 3 won't be bridged. Is this how the Ice module determines what mode to go into? Basically if pin 1 and 3 on xlr A1400 end are bridge does this make it go into consumer line level -10dBV mode OR is it hot pin 2 that triggers balanced pro line level +4dBm ? Also why did you guys package those adapters because they just turn the coax 90% will terminate with into a bloody antenna? I guess if you used two conductor "balanced" RCA (oxymoron IMHO) with open shield on one end it would work right... other than that with those adapters your screwed.

Solid-State