This may come across disjointed and not too clear, but here goes...

I recently posted in the Gallery that I had changed the orientation of my speakers in relationship to my room. I am still not quite satisfied with the sound and am looking for suggestions as to how I might improve it. Sound is somewhat thin, with slightly boomy bass (from the sub). Also, not a lot of "punch" (for lack of a better term) in the midrange.

My system is a 2.1 setup, comprised of M22v2's and a HSU STF-2 subwoofer. I own both a Harman Kardon 3490 stereo receiver and an Onkyo A-9555 integrated amplifier. I alternate between both power sources. The HK has a subwoofer output (RCA jack), but no crossover. A full range signal goes to the sub. To try and achieve proper integration between the speakers and sub, I set the sub's crossover at 60 Hz; which is the M22's lowest frequency at -3dB. The Onkyo has no subwoofer output, so I must use the subs high level (speaker) inputs. Since the Onkyo can run speakers A+B, I connect the sub to speaker B terminals and set the sub's crossover the same as with the Harman Kardon (60 Hz).

Lastly, my room is large...especially large for bookshelf speakers...and this could be the main problem. The room is 12 x 24, with a 7.5 foot ceiling. Also, one half of one of the 24' length walls opens up into another larger room.

Currently the speakers are on the 12' wall firing down the long dimension. Speakers are approximately 7' feet apart. My setup is in a basement and unfortunately no portion of the basement (other than two small bedrooms) has sections smaller than the one I am using.

Hopefully the above info makes sense and gives you a feel for my listening space. Even in my large room, the M22's have great potential, I just think they could be a lot better. I'm hoping some of you may have suggestions for things that I could try.

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Last edited by Rob H; 09/22/09 03:23 AM.