I was won of the early adopters and received delivery of the BDP83 in early May well before the general release at the end of June. This is a benchmark player with all the "bells and whistles" you will ever need. Of course, I purchased this player from strictly an A/V performance point of view. Stuff like streaming capabilities was not a factor for me, so I can't point to that as a disadvantage. For a few, not being "region-free" has been an issue. To me, one of the greatest attributes of purchasing a player from a company like Oppo is its follow-up service in the form of firmware updates to address any future issues and general upgrades. These are done quite often just to improve the operation of the player, not just to correct problems. This is unprecedented in the industry.

The price of around $550(CDN) is actually as good as it gets. I am assuming you are looking online at "Only Best Rated" in Mississauga, Ontario. If you order direct from Oppo it will be $499(US)plus around $85.00(US) shipping, customs and duties(Made in China) and taxes. Given the exchange rates and adding it all up, you are probably better off ordering it locally. Given the "glowing" reviews of this player throughout the industry and the demand for it, I doubt one will ever see this player discounted from its present price(Unless, of course, they bring out a "new and improved" BDP83!)