My mom is a night owl, and hard of hearing. She stays up till 2AM watching the TV that’s 10’ from her bed, but can’t hear it well. She uses closed captioning but can’t really read it easily while on her side looking at the TV from that distance. She’s tried those wireless headphone units designed for the hard of hearing but doesn’t like wearing headphones, and the results sounded pretty bad anyway from what she’s told me. My dad sleeps in a separate room, so her having the volume turned up but right next to her works, but having the TV volume up loud enough to fill the room then bothers him.

The TV in her room doesn’t have audio-out RCA jacks, but it does have a headphone jack. I’m thinking that if I can put a small, powered speaker next to her on the nightstand, it would work very well to help her out.

I’m thinking along the lines of these Edirol speakers or this Azden that are powered, have a volume control, and have inputs. Another possibility is computer speakers.

She only needs a single, not a pair, and would actually do better with a mono source rather than a pair split between nightstands.

Anyone have any other ideas?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::