I’ve been trying to decide what to get as a backup display to keep from blowing through projector lamps. In 5 weeks I’ve already put over 250 hours on the AE4000. However when I do the math any good display I get (something I’d really want to watch) isn’t cost effective compared to replacement lamps at $400 lasting 2,000 hours. I mean for the cost of a $1,600 LCD I’d have to put 8,000 hours on it just to break even with the cost of using up PJ lamps and I’d be trading a 134” for probably a 55” screen.

Also one of the biggest things that I’m afraid will eat up my lamps is that I usually have the PJ on from 5 hours at a time on workdays and Saturday and 15+ hours at a time on other days off. From what I’ve read having them on that long really uses up the lamp faster than normal. Since this might be the biggest thing that eat up lamps and that I’m not going to switch from the PJ to an HDTV 2-4 hours into a DVD/Gaming marathon and then back again a few hours later and HDTV really doesn’t seem cost effective or have the same utility value then . . . .

Here’s the new idea. Use another PJ as a backup to my AE4000. With two projectors I could have the same size either identical or similar quality picture (thinking Epson) as my current projector. Swapping between them every few hours could save wear on the lamps assuming I’m not turning them on and off to often.

Nothing says I have to buy the second PJ right away. Likely time to get the second one would be when I replace this first lamp or when my DLP dies whichever comes first.

The way I’m seeing it while a second PJ won’t eliminate lamp replacement cost it should reduce it due to eliminating marathon use. It gives me a much more elegant placement option (right below my current PJ) rather than somewhere between me an my speakers (presently dragging the DLP in and out of the adjacent room). And best of all if one goes out for any reason my backup is still a PJ and screen and not a 55” HDTV

Is this just me being crazy due to lack of sleep this weekend or might I be onto something?

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1