The recipe called for at least 12 hours in the cooker but I ended up pulling the plug around 9 hours. The roast (the slightly larger half of a 6 pound eye of round roast cut in two) was at the point where it was starting to come apart in large chunks but not yet turning into "debris". The garlic had faded to the point where you didn't really notice unless you looked hard for it, and the peppers could be pulled apart easily with a couple of forks.

I picked out the peppers, pulled off then discarded the stems and some of the seeds, broke up the roast into small chunks, and dumped chunks plus peppers into a container. Tried boiling the juice to reduce & thicken it, but the vinegary and beefy aspects increased together so I figured it would be too sour by the time it was nice and gravy-y. Dumped the juice into the container and left in the fridge overnight.

Next morning the beef+peppers+juice had more or less solidified, which was real handy for making sandwiches. Bottom half of bun + beef/pepper/juice + raw onion + processed swiss cheese slice torn in strips + top of bun, microwaved for just under 2 minutes. Excellent, although probably could have used a bit of horseradish.

In hindsight chilling the juice separately would have allowed skimming off the fat, but there wasn't much (perhaps 1/8 inch on top despite half of the surface area being taken up by beef). Probably not worth it.

Some reviews of the recipe complained that there was too little taste, but those reviewers may have discarded peppers+juice and only eaten the beef. You really need all three together for best effect. There was a casual aspect to the recipe leaving some room for interpretation, but I suspect the intention was to serve beef + peppers + juice all together.

I'll try one of the recipes from this thread next (thanks guys !); hopefully without the vinegar I won't have to worry about the blue garlic either ;\)

Last edited by bridgman; 01/19/10 01:48 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8