I’ve been a board ‘regular’ for several years; more of a regular reader than poster, but around regularly enough to notice trends. One thing I’ve noticed from day one is that the VP line just doesn’t seam to get the praise that the rest of the line does (has). I can’t really remember a whole lot of complaining about the VP’s, but there has definitely been more non-positive talk about the VP’s than the remaining speakers. I don’t specifically recall anyone or any thread in particular where the VP’s got thrashed, so I’m just wondering what the deal is with these speakers and this perception. Is it real or is based of rumors, nonsense and legacy issues (real or otherwise)?

My motives for asking this are personal. I plan to swap out my vinyl Axioms for the latest version of Axiom speakers to a wood veneer sometime this year. (Well, if my roof replacement doesn’t go over budget anyway.) I would really like to try a couple VP150’s (one over and one under my screen) verses my current configuration of running two M22’s as center. Depending on what I do with the center channel; that will affect my choices for what I use for heights and width’s, subs and so on. I am also in the process of setting up a buddies’ home for surround sound and a VP would be the optimal choice due to his TV size and placement.

So generally speaking, I’m just looking for a broader perspective regarding the VP’s and what owners and other folks who frequent this sight (who are much more knowledgeable than I, which is just about all of you) think about the VP’s. Why do they not get the fanfare of the rest of the Axiom line up????