Originally Posted By: alan
Hi all,

I sent Asher a PM asking for the serial numbers of his "ti" M80s but no response so far, so I'm posting here.

With the serial numbers, we can check at the plant to see if his "ti" M80 already has the changed crossover.

Believe me, if you are a critical listener, there IS a difference between the original M80ti and the later version (Summer/Fall 2003); large enough that when we did double-blind listening tests between the old "ti" M80 and the new "ti"--almost everyone at Axiom participated in the tests--the new "ti" crossover won, and it became a much smoother and more linear speaker, especially in the midrange, which I was very critical of when I joined Axiom. So the new crossover was introduced Summer 2003 and along with other mechanical changes, the new M80s were renamed the v2 in 2005.

You can't just judge the sound quality of a speaker on one on-axis anechoic frequency response curve; it's really a matter of looking at the overall family of curves and making a judgment call. Sometimes just 1 dB of difference in the midrange, where our hearing is most sensitive, in the on-axis and off-axis curves, will make a surprisingly large change in the sound of the speaker in the listening tests.

Regards,

Alan

Good to know, thanks for the info!