Hi KurtisJ,

Here a couple of suggestions. I'll post more when I get some more time:
One of the CDs I use to evaluate the M22ti's and several other prototypes is called "Misa Criolla" by Ariel Ramirez (Philips CD, 420-955-2). It features a Spanish/Latin American instrumental (acoustic) backing with a deep bass drum, and a full choir spread out way behind the lead singer, Jose Carreras.

It has a stunning soundstage with great depth. Carreras should be right up front, with the choir and guitars etc. spread out behind him, well back. It was recorded in a church with super acoustics and it's not dreary music. Try cut # 8 first, then others.

A beautifully recorded and ideally mixed 5.1 Dolby Digital music video is "James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater." I know, the music is a bit sappy, but the back-up singers, musicians, electric bass, and Taylor's voice are almost perfect. With a good setup, the backup singers are on the left of the stage and wrap around the sides of your room. Taylor's voice is very accurate (there's a bit of sibilance, but not offensive) and the guitar sound is excellent.

By the way, I was at that taping (I live around the corner from the Beacon Theater) and interviewed the producer and mixer for the DVD, Frank Filipetti, who's done a first-rate job on the 5.1 mix. I'm sitting in the 10th row to the right (guy with gray hair). The sound and mix on the DVD is even better than the live concert sound. And, for those interested, the video directing is by Beth McCarthy, the director of Saturday Night Live, who really knows how to call camera shots for a concert.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)