Having Googled in vain, I could use your help. This is clearly one of those "too stupid to have to be explained" questions.

I have not previously bothered to rip any DVD's as files to a hard drive. I do NOT have an extensive collection, because I don't typically watch one movie enough times to warrant owning it.

My main motivation is providing extra content to iPad (which I bought for Mrs. Tuttle for Mothers Day - Epic win). Except for the iPad, we are a Windows household.

I see a lot of commercial software out there. I also see some people advocate decrypting and converting as separate steps.

I used DiscRipper and it seemed to work fine, except that the audio levels are unacceptably low, even when I use iTunes to increase the playback levels by 100%. I understand that I need H.264 MP4 files.

Since I'm going to invest some time encoding, I guess I wouldn't mind having home theater quality file copies and then also converting them "down" to optimize them for iPad if that is the best path.

So, if you needed to rip some DVD content on Windows for eventual consumption on an iPad, what software and what settings would you use?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem