First off, I too admire that scotch collection. A bottle of Talisker sits a bit higher in our room -- hopefully it won't have to be hit too hard during the Patriots game today. (Family is from N.E., not Texas.)

Secondly, though perhaps not of as much importance as single malt scotch, I would think there's some ingenious way to attach the QS8s to the bookshelves. Assuming you have spans of 6' or more, there must be some kind of vertical trim between the bookshelf cabinets. If I were facing this dilemma, I'd attach the downward firing QS8s to the shelf/shelves in question on the vertical trim, flush with the front of the bookshelves, placed at the optimal height. I can't imagine there being an acoustical problem with this, and it might look pretty cool. Only dilemma I can see is banging into them with your head as you walk near the shelves, so just place them over 6'.

This seems preferable to trying VP-100s as side surrounds.

On the M80s -- I have M60s in a 14' x 18' room, standing about 1' out from the 14' wall. We sit 10'-12' back. If I were regularly sitting 11.5' back I'd try the M80s -- you can always send them back if they don't work. As others have advised, our 60s need the distance for a good soundstage. Walking within 8' of the M60s (which stand 8' apart) you lose something ... get nice sounds, of course, but for listening the distance is important. I bet the M80s would be fine at 10' -- kinda wish I could hear them, though we are 100% satisfied with the M60s.

Birdman

"These go to eleven."