Chris – It wouldn’t be two receivers, but one receiver with HDMI A/V processing into a pre/pro with an HT bypass function (or my 1070, if possible, without the bypass function). This way I could plug all the HDMI and digital stuff into the receiver and use its pre-outs as a common input to the pre/pro and keep my CD player going directly into the 1070. I'm not really set on anything at this point, just looking at all my options. As I initially indicated, I had no intention of ever having a display in this room and it was to be a strictly two channel rig, without video.

Ken - They do, but those little outboard DAC's are pretty expensive, $400 and up, and the ones that have remote switching are about $1000 and up. And, they all appear to be limited to three inputs or less. All the ones I've looked at so far have one optical, one coax and one balanced.

I'm actually thinking my best bet is to just buy a multi channel pre/pro with HDMI switching and get rid of the 1070. There are a few available (used or new) that are in very low demand now that everyone is moving to HDMI pre/pro's with video and audio processing, verses just switching. There are a few that are on the market for less than a third of the cost as when they were first released. I was looking at an Adcom that was $6000 new just one year ago and up for sale for $1500.

I think it really just boils down to the fact that I'm attached to the 1070 and don't want to get rid of it. It has an odd sentimental value to me that I can't quite figure out.

I know I'm being very silly over all this.... The smart thing to do would be as John and others have mentioned and just buy a friggin Onkyo (or other inexpensive) AVR and be done with it. Or even smarter yet, stick to my orginal plan and keep the damn TV out of this room.

Last edited by michael_d; 07/17/10 12:00 AM.