Hey Harvey,

That's great you like your M22ti's, but are you trying to turn me into Liza Minelli's and Lorna Luft's missing half-brother? It's Lofft, here, not Luft. (ha, ha)

A few thoughts on putting the M22ti on its side as a center channel: Yes, it compromises the lateral dispersion, and it sounds a little different than an M22ti in its proper vertical orientation, but it still sounds better than most other center channel speakers I've auditioned. When it's on its side, the intelligibility off-axis remains very good, and the speaker lacks that annoying edgy "cuppy" coloration on dialog and vocals that seems to be present in many other center channel speakers.

There's also an argument that if you're listening or watching home theater alone and you're sitting exactly between the left and right mains, you can put your processor into a phantom center setting and not use a center speaker at all. (A rigid purist audiophile friend of mine does just that because he doesn't like any center channel speakers!) I'm not that rigid, but years ago, in the earliest days of Dolby Surround, I tried using a powered Bose as center and it was so colored I stopped using it and went to the phantom mode until I found something listenable and shielded I could use.

Anyway, try out the M22ti in a reclining position and see what you think.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)