Hi all! I'm a new member of the Axiom club, just got M60's, VP150, M2's for the rear, and my existing sub. The good news is that they sound great, the bad news is my receiver keeps shutting down, with a "check speaker wire". I had some old very crappy wire on them initially and had only played them at reasonably low levels, just to make sure everything was working on initial setup. Turned them up a bit, and got "Check speaker wire". Ok, you’re right, it IS crappy wire. Was definitely planning to put good wire in with the new system for sure anyway and had just had delivery of 14 gauge wire from Monoprice.

Built the new wires, complete with banana plugs on all ends, so I shouldn't have anything shorting out. Same problem! So is it really one of the wires or is the receiver too underpowered? (It has to push the 6 ohm VP150.) However, unplugged the vp150... same problem...

This is a older receiver, Yamaha RX-V630 6 channel, 75 watt per channel. Seems to play just fine at -30 db, but when you get to -25 or -20, she shuts down. (Playing in 6 channel stereo mode, playing Heart's Straight On For You, if that matters. smile Never had any problems with my old speakers, 33 year old BIC Venturi formula 4s... you heard me, 33 years old, and have been in continuous use playing as my TV speakers and for music for all that time! The BIC's are definitely more efficient than the Axioms, so I probably never had them turned up this far...

So what do you guys suspect? Is it really a speaker wire problem? Or can the receiver just not hack it? If you think its speaker wire, how do you diagnose it? Can you just attach one wire at a time, turn it up, and if it doesn't shut down, go on and add another one? Or do you just check one at a time, turn it up, go on to the next one?

HELP!!

I wonna rock! Not shut down!

Thanks!

Steve