Hey guys
long time no see. anyway

I'm sitting here on my couch. Not even playing my surround sound system. I hear a couple popping sounds and can smell something burning over by my EP500. I also have a cheap lamp over there, but I dont think that was it. freaked me out. I checked the cords behind the lamps and they were fine.

The EP500 still plays fine. The smell went away. I'm wondering if there has been any issues with capacitors blowing in these units ? I'm thinking my EP500 is 3-4 years old. Still under warranty smile I really dont abuse my axiom/denon system, its quality over quantity of sound for me.

The only issue I have had is a ground loop thru the sub. I moved here 1.5 years ago and it started after that. I traced it down to the incoming cable tv line. I tried an isolation filter on the cable line (Basically a capacitor ), but then the signal level on the cable was poor. The cable tv service rep was wortheless, said his power was clean. I eventually removed the chassis ground screw on the EP500, as outlined in the manual. This reduced the hum by 95% which was pretty good.

I dont know what to do now. I wanna take apart the sub to inspect the electronics, but dont want to void my warranty. Maybe it was the lamp, I did just change the bulb in it today. the bulb is still good.

Anyone else have an experience like this ?

Thanks
Randy Perkins

Last edited by Randy_Perkins; 11/13/10 09:42 AM.

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4