I've got a rather newbish question to ask, and I'm fairly certain I know what the answer is, but I want to confirm with the experts here :-)

I bought my dad a pioneer vsx-820-k for xmas. He was in dire need of an upgrade having an old receiver that only supports up to dolby pro logic. I checked the resistance rating on his speakers (8ohms) but foolishly didn't get the wattage before buying. They are an old set of yamaha speakers, which come to find out are not spec'd so great and I fear they will blow the first movie he watches. On the back of each speaker has a rating as such:

Fronts: 80w max
Surrounds: 60w max
Sub: 25w is all it says on the back.

Also, The sub is wired strangely.. it has a L&R rca connection that goes into bare wires which are hooked into the fronts terminals on his receiver.

So... are these speakers doomed to die if we power them with the pioneer? I'm assuming the sub doesn't have a chance in hell at working..? Pretty sure the answer is yes, we need to upgrade, but hoping otherwise cause he don't have the budget for rly nice speakers.

I did find a nicely reviewed set of speakers that probably wodnt break the bank.. onkyo has a 7.1 set with a 10" sub. Model number escap0es me at the moment (on my phone) that's on sale for $200 at amazon. Obviously they arenta axiom but sounds like they do great for movies for the average non-audiophile