Well if I total those up I come up with the following:

M22 + Ep500 2 votes

M22 + 2 Ep400 or two other small subs 2 votes

M80s 3 votes

M60s 6 votes

Two Ep400s is going to be way out of budget, especially considering that I'm willing to forgo even a single sub. Two $1000+ subs in tandem just doesn't appeal to my budget. Sonically, however, that idea sounds very intriguing.

I was kind of already persuaded against the M80s. From my past perusal of these forums I had come to the conclusion that the M80s don't offer much more over the M60s except that they will play a little louder, a little lower, and a little brighter. Considering the size of my apartment listening room, I figured the M60s were a perfect choice for floor standers. Without a sub, however, I can see giving the M80s a nod for their extra bass extension. I really don't listen at loud levels. That may change down the road when I own my own house, but for now I keep things at a very casual volume. Do the M80s really provide enough extra sonic beauty over the M60s to justify the extra size and extra cost? Not to mention being a 4 ohm speaker compared to the easy 8 ohms of the M60s? I'm not dead set against the M80s, but I had already decided previously that the M60s would be perfect for a set of floor standers if I decided to go that route instead of the M22s.

JohnK: What is Audyssey, and why should I be interested in it? What do I get in return for the extra cash by moving up a step or two in receiver?

Last edited by Artisan; 02/05/11 11:11 PM.