I decided to start a new thread now that I have installed my M60s,VP150, and QS8. (I'm saving for a sub). Here are my questions:

1) I could not find any "reasonably" priced 12 gauge speaker wire,so I used 14 for the surrounds. (although I recently found out you can buy it bulk at Home Depot) I ran about 40 feet of wire to each surround. I know they recommend 12, but what is the difference in 12 vs 14 for performance?

2) I mounted the surrounds both 6 feet high. The right side is about 1 foot in back of the listening area, the left, due to a badly placed window, is about 3 feet back. When I play music in 5 channel, I hear all the speakers perfectly and they sound great. I assume this is because all the speakers are fed the "same" signal, so all of them play. When I play a DVD, the surrounds "disappear". I understand that they get the sound effects, but to me the fronts overwhelm the surrounds. They are all set to the same Denon default of 0 dB. When I play a chapter of a DVD that I know has some great surround sounds, it's so-so.

From what I have written, does anybody see something that I am doing wrong? Am I being too picky?

Thanks, John