John,

I don't know if you read the thread I referenced, but there may be some additional detail in there for you. I skimmed it to pick out the info specific to my needs.

However, my feeble memory tells me that there are a few pieces that may be of interest there for you:
1) At the very least, you would get a HD reciever. Depending on your history with DirecTV, this would cost you $99, $199 or $399. A decent HD receiver would cost at least $399 at Circuit City.

2) When the installer comes out & finds you already have the 3 LNB dish installed, he will still hook up the HD receiver. Since you would now have a surplus receiver, I'd guess he would run another line from the dish and hook you up on a second TV with that surplus unit. The 3 LNB dish lets you watch different channels with different receivers.

3) I remember seeing something in the thread about a receiver/Tivo combo. While they don't offer that unit with the package, I think (don't hold me to this) there is something in the thread where they let you buy a receiver/Tivo and credit your account to some extent.

4) I also remember credits involving 6 months of HBO and/or Showtime and some # of months for this upgrade the HD package.

Seriously - comb through that thread for detail and give them a call. I'm sure there are other bits that I haven't mentioned. A little time might let you upgrade to HD and save a little money in the process.

Ray