Originally Posted By: Limited Less

I don't believe I have a book by Descartes. Suggestion?

Cam –

If you really want to study Descartes, I would start with his book “The Discourse on the Method”, or its full title “Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting One's Reason and of Seeking Truth in the Sciences”. If what he writes in this book interest you, you can decide if you want to give his additional writings further study.

After reading some of the things you have written over the past couple of years here, you might want to study Friedrich Nietzsche as well. I think you will like the book “Basic Writings of Nietzsche” I think it is excellent and a very different tone from most philosophical writings. Nietzsche is also one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented philosophers because he questioned convention (basically called BS on it).

I am by no means an expert on philosophy and do not have the intellect to be a philosopher, but find it incredibly interesting and thought provoking. One thing it has taught me is to keep an open mind, never accept status quo and question everything. My favorite book (so far) is “Sophie’s World”. Well, that book and Zen and the Art or Motorcycle Maintenance. I like Sophie’s World because it is a great introductory book that ties the ancients to modern day in a chronological order without giving any preference to one thought or direction. Plus, it’s an easy read, unlike most philosophical texts and books.