In reply to:

Concerning direct radiators at rear for SACD, you generally want side speakers for surround music.

I don't mean to sound contentious, but the above statement is not correct. High res 5.1 surround DVD-A and SACD tracks are mixed using 5 identical speakers at the following positions: Dead ahead (0 degrees), + & - 30 degrees, and + & - 120 degrees, all at ear level. This means that the surrounds are monopolar speakers located 30 degrees to the rear of the listener. This is a fact, not my opinion. Therefore, by definition, the optimal positions for surround speakers when listening to high res 5.1 music tracks are slightly behind (30 degrees) the listening position, at ear level. Here is a link to what the speaker layout is for DVD-A

It is, however, a fact that surrounds for DD tracks should be high and to the sides of the listener. If your receiver has 7 separate pre-ins (as mine does), then you can force the surround information from your DVD-A/SACD player to go to your rear speakers, while the surround info from DD and DTS movies goes to your surrounds.

Mark

Last edited by mhorgel; 02/22/04 06:10 AM.

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"