In reply to:

The overall result is fluctuations in volume and presentation that become annoying very quickly.

It is interesting that this was noted recently. We had a discussion on DPL2 awhile back and i used the incorrect term of 'faked' to describe the DPL2. Ultimately it is an algorithm extracting ambient information from the data stream and presenting it to the surround channels. Alan referred to it as a 'reconstruction' of original surround signal info. It is not faked per se although sometimes i do find its presentation sounds that way. I once did a test of my surround channels for something unrelated and i had all my speakers unplugged except for the surrounds. The sounds coming from them certainly wavered in and out with volumes and voices such that i could not tell what song was even playing unless i plugged one of my main speakers back in. It certainly was a head scratcher as to what the heck the DPL2 was doing.
Although i believe that DPL2 is pretty good, it does not hold a candle to dvd-a/sacd with all channels running.
THAT sound is just stellar.

Last edited by chesseroo; 02/24/04 02:03 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."